Friday, June 11, 2010

Irish Night at the Ballpark

On June 1st, a large group of us headed to AT&T park to celebrate Irish Heritage Night. I felt right at home, since I am more Irish than anything else. Before the game started, we went to the pre-game party in the parking lot. Everyone got neat Irish shirts and we listened to Irish music. There was a great Irish band and a group of bagpipe players, too.

Once in the game, mom found me to be a little more active than previous games. We sat 25 rows from the field and all I wanted to do was walk down the stairs to get a closer look. Luckily, the game wasn't too crowded, so mom and I got to change seats a lot. That was fun, because it allowed me to meet lots of new people. We would walk a few stairs while the batter was out of the box, then as soon as he was ready to hit, we would find a seat.

The first few innings were filled with walking and squirming, but after awhile, I got a little tired. Mom took this opportunity to explain the game to me. She told me there was a ball that the pitcher threw to a catcher. She made the ball sign, then pointed to the pitcher and catcher. Although I often pick things up quickly, mom repeated these words and signs often, as she might do with her students that are learning English. Hey, it's tough work learning to talk! Anyway, after I learned there was a ball out on the field, I was much more interested in the game. A few times, we even saw it come to the outfield near where we were sitting.

We returned to our regular seats to find some nice ladies sitting next to us. I took this opportunity to explain what I had learned about the game of baseball. I made the ball sign, then I pointed to the pitcher, then the catcher. Which obviously meant, "there is a ball that will be thrown from the pitcher to the catcher." They were very impressed and I think a bit grateful.

The game went into extra-innings again, but I am pretty used to that. This time I did not take a nap in the 10th. I was really hoping to see the Giants pull through, so I stayed up until past 11pm, but alas they lost by one run. I fell asleep in the car as we left the parking lot and slept soundly through the night.
Listening to the music with Papa:
Trying on an Irish hat from a previous year:
Not enjoying the opportunity to try on a panda hat:
I think it looks much better on Papa:

No comments:

Post a Comment